posted: Friday, November 18, 2011
- Customer service - Customer service is always important, no matter what time of year it is, but it is even heightened during the holidays. As a salesperson, you are going to be busier and it can be easy to move quickly from customer to customer without giving each one your full attention. It’s also important to remember that a lot of customers are going to be a little more on edge, in a hurry or just plain cranky. Understand that going in and raise your level of customer service to satisfy any and all of your customers.
- Know your products - Once again, knowing your product is always important but even more so at this time of year. People who don’t normally shop are going to be shopping, people are going to be buying items they don’t normally buy and it is up to the professional salesperson to know each of their products inside and out. Customers are probably going to ask more questions than usual if they are purchasing items that they do not usually buy. Be prepared.
- Be understanding - We all ready touched on this a little but remember that some people really get stressed out during the holidays. Do your best to take away some of their stress and assist them in getting what they want.
- Smile - That sounds simple but a smile can be the only thing a customer, on their fifth store in two hours, needs. If they’ve been dealing with other salespeople who have been less than professional, then a smile from you may do most of your work for you.
- Have fun - Remember that the holidays are supposed to be fun, and while there is some stress involved, don’t forget to have fun. For example, a customer who is buying a necklace for his wife may very well be excited about the gift he is buying. Share in that excitement!
Those are just a few things to remember as we head into the holidays. If you put these into practice over the next couple of months, then you will probably close your fair share of sales and gain a few repeat customers in the process.
FINAO - Brad Huisken